The first meeting of local Christian Scientists was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. H.P. Weter on February 1, 1932. Mrs. Bertha Wood organized what was named “The Brookings Circle.” The first services were Wednesday evening testimony meetings. In 1935, the group started holding Sunday services and a member donated a small organ. In 1938, a church building fund was started.
The first set of officers was elected in 1942 – First Reader, Second Reader, two Trustees, a Chairman, and Secretary-Treasurer.
Meetings were moved to the Odd Fellows Hall in February, 1945, due to growing attendance. Later that year, bylaws were drawn up, and the application to The Mother Church to become a Christian Science Society was signed by 17 people. Fifteen became charter members in February, 1946 when The Mother Church approved their application.
The church hosted its first community lecture, given by Ralph Wagers of Chicago, in January, 1949. The following month a building lot was purchased with cash and in April, ground was broken for the new church at its current site. The first service held in the new building was in October.
The new church edifice was dedicated on June 29, 1952, which meant that the church was debt-free by that time.
The history of the church was placed in the cornerstone of the new Brookings City Hall in 1969.
In 1977, the Society formally became First Church of Christ, Scientist, Brookings, Oregon.
Work began on a building addition in August, 1984. This addition became the Reading Room and a nursery/Sunday School. A paved parking lot was completed later.