In her early years, Mary Baker Eddy had to deal with chronic illness, homelessness, poverty, family issues (including being a single parent with no resources, who was forced into giving up her child), and being ostracized from much of society. Through every trial she always found comfort in turning to God and the Bible. This eventually led to her pivotal healing in 1866 of life-threatening injuries after a fall on the ice. She had finally realized that spiritual healing such as Jesus demonstrated is based on the divine laws of God, on His omnipotence, goodness, and love.
For the next forty-four years, Mrs. Eddy dedicated herself to bringing this healing efficacy to the world. In fact, a student of Mrs. Eddy’s, Clara Shannon, relates that it was after Mrs. Eddy instantaneously healed a woman of pneumonia whom the doctors had given up on, that one of the witnesses, an experienced physician, asked, “How did you do it, what did you do?” Mrs. Eddy (Mrs. Glover at the time) replied, “I can’t tell you, it was God.” The physician, Dr. Davis of Manchester, NH, said, “Why don’t you write it in a book, publish it, and give it to the world?” This led to the writing of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, often referenced as the textbook of Christian Science.
The final chapter of Science and Health, “Fruitage,” is filled with testimonies by people in Mrs. Eddy’s day who were healed simply by reading this book.
If you’re interested in reading or learning more about healings in Christian Science, you can:
- Read Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
- Read books about Mary Baker Eddy, such as Mary Baker Eddy Christian Healer by Yvonne Cache von Fettweis and Robert Townsend Warneck, The Life of Mary Baker Eddy by Sibyl Wilbur, Twelve Years with Mary Baker Eddy by Irving Tomlinson, Historical Sketches by Clifford P. Smith, or A century of Christian Science healing by The Christian Science Publishing Society. There are many more.
- Visit www.ChristianScience.com/christian-healing-today/experiences-of-healing to hear people tell of their healing experiences for all types of issues
- Attend our Wednesday testimony meetings
- Visit our Reading Room to check out healings found in our bound volumes of The Christian Science Journal (1883 to present) and The Christian Science Sentinel (1898 to present), access healings through JSH Online, and talk to the Reading Room attendant.
- Contact a Christian Science practitioner listed in the current copy of The Christian Science Journal (available at our Reading Room). These men and women around the globe are dedicated to the healing practice of Christian Science, providing spiritual help to those in need – whether the problem is physical, emotional, interpersonal relationships, or supply.